The 5 categories defined by the digital competence assessment grid - Information processing, Content creation, Communication, Problem solving and Safety - appear mixed in the activities we did with our groups in the digiUP computer courses. Therefore you will find information concerning the categories the tasks relate to with each activity.
The objective of the activity is to work on the competence of Information Processing and Content Creation.
- Before the class the teacher creates a blog about cultures of the world.
- At the beginning of the class, the teacher introduces and explains a new tool to the participants; the blog.
- The class is divided in heterogeneous groups, for example it can be computer for every two people.
- Every group makes a post in the blog the teacher has created beforehand, explaining something that they want to share about their cultures, countries or cities (it can be a recipe, a tradition, etc.)
- As the teacher goes from group to group, he/she encourages them to also add images or videos to the blog post.
- The volunteer ensures that they all contribute to the creation of the post and that nobody falls behind.
- All the groups write 1 comment to every one of the posts from other groups.
- All the groups present their blog post to the rest of the group, so that they all can ask questions and discuss them.
- They all share together what they have learnt, any doubts that they still have and talk about other platforms to share opinions such as forums, with the help of the teacher.
The objective of the activity is to work on the competence of content creation with an image editor:
- At the beginning, the teacher tells the participants that the new ones should get together with the ones that have already been in that class before.
- The teacher reminds them that they should ask when they have a doubt, that they should not be afraid to do so.
- The teacher explains how to correct a photo and how to change the color.
- They start with the easy tasks and, going more in depth as the session advances.
- After the explanation the participants, who are seated in pairs so that they have one computer for every two people, practice what the teacher has explained.
- Sometimes, the teacher has to ask in order to encourage the participants to help their classmates understand the activity.
- At the end of the class the teacher asks the participants to think about what they have done during the class in order to share the doubts they have in the following session, to solve them together with everyone.
The objective of the activity is to work on the competence of information processing and content creation.
Activity 1: Job search through internet: (10 minutes of explanation, 25 minutes of activity)
- Explore internet portals about job search:
- Simple and Advanced search. (you can of course choose other websites)
- Extract the key information: Description of the workplace, working conditions (schedules, salary), requirements, etc.
- If the company’s name is mentioned, search information about it (web page).
Activity 2: Create a table of the professional project. (10 minutes of explanation, 25 minutes of activity)
- What do I have? Formation, professional experience, key skills.
- What do I want? Interests and motivations. Alternatives.
- What does the job market ask me for? Which professional profile is required in relation with the working goal?
- What do I need? Necessities to improve employability: weaknesses which you have to work on using the development of the key skills to achieve the goal.
- Work offers: Depending on what I have and what I want.
The objective of the activity is to work on the competence of content creation and communication.
In pairs, do the following activities:
Activity 1 à 20 minutes:
- Turn on the computer
- Search 3 Google images which share a relation with the type of job you are looking for or the one you would like to get.
- Save those images on the folder where all the pictures from the course are kept.
Activity 2 à 20 minutes:
- Create a new Word doc.
- Save the document with your name inside the course’s folder, on the folder called 20_02_2017
- Write a brief professional description of yourself (5 lines: Name, studies, work experience, work expectations, etc.)
- Check the text’s spelling.
Activity 3 à 20 minutes:
- Insert the images you chose in the document
- Give a format to the page so it looks as you like best: you can change the letter format (color, size, font)
- You can modify the images and make the changes you like the most on the page.
Activity 4 à 20 minutes:
- Open your Gmail account
- Copy and paste the images which you have previously used on your Word document
- Write an email as if you were to send your curriculum to a company.
- Attach your document, in where you explain your work experience, work expectations, etc…
The objective of the activity is to work on the competence of information processing, content creation and communication.
Combination of practicing Word, online search and emails - Invitation to a birthday party
The participants work in pairs or in groups of 3. They are given a sample of an invitation for a birthday party. Their task is:
- to change the text with their own information
- to change the formatting of the text (font, colour, style, etc.) to their own liking
- to search for pictures, animations online to fit into the invitation
- when the invitation is ready, save it also as a pdf document, then write an email to their friends and send the invitation in an attachment.
When all the groups are ready, discussion with suggestions for improvement.
The objective of the activity is to work on the competence of information processing and communication.
Combination of practicing online search and emails – complaint letter to a company
The participants work in groups of 4, and within those groups in pairs.
First part (20 minutes)
Pair A: you bought online a television. It has arrived but it doesn’t work. You need to write an email to the company and ask what your options are: send it back and get your money back or get a new television? Would they pick up the defect television? Look on the internet for similar examples and what sort of stories people have about it. When you formulated you letter send it to Pair B.
Pair B: you bought online a pair of shoes. They have arrived but they are too small. You need to write an email to the company and ask what your options are: send it back and get your money back or get a new pair of shoes? Look on the internet for similar examples and what sort of stories people have about it. When you formulated you letter send it to Pair A.
Second part (15 minutes):
Pair A: you received the complaint letter from Pair B. Answer their questions in an email.
Pair B: the same task with the email from Pair A.
Discuss the emails and the answers together at the end. Make suggestions for improvement.
The objective of the activity is to work on the competence of information processing and communication.
Productivity Tools: Translator, Calendar
Google Drive: creating files on the cloud and Google Docs: i Google Docs: texts, spreadsheets, forms...
- Google drive
Explanation about how to create and share folders and how to upload files to Drive (10 minutes)
- Activity 1 (10 minutes) Create a folder on the Drive to upload the curriculum which was created and checked on previous lessons, in order to be able to make use of it whenever necessary and then to create another to share it with a classmate. Explanation of how to create, edit and share documents, presentations and spread-sheets (20 minutes)
- Activity 2 (20 minutes) Explore the functions of google drive: documents, presentations spread-sheets, etc. Create a shared document for all the participants where they can do sum-up of all the job portals worked in class and others that they know.
- Other productivity tools.
Explanation of the electronic calendar (20 minutes)
Activity 3 (30 minutes) Create a calendar called “School” and share it with a classmate. In pairs, add the events that appear on the school’s calendar that have been given to you.
The objective of the activity is to work on the competence of communication and content creation.
Combination of practicing sending/saving emails with attachment and PowerPoint (20 minutes)
The participants work in pairs. They take pictures of each other on their mobile phones then they send the photos to each other in an email (they need smart phones for this exercise). They download the emails on the computer and save the attachments. They open a new PowerPoint template and make two slides where they give a short introduction of each other with the photos pasted in. When they are ready they sit in groups of 4 and make a short presentation to each other. The other pair can make suggestions for improvement.
The objective of the activity is to work on the competence of content creation.
Introduction to Excel
We organize a party for a family member or a friend (the group can decide the occasion and the size of the party). The participants work in groups of 3-4.
Group 1: consider the different options for organizing food for the party: going to a restaurant (menu or buffet), ordering food or cooking ourselves? Make a table in Excel with the different options and their cost calculation.
Group 2: consider the different options for the location and decoration: stay at home, book a restaurant or book a hall? Flowers, balloons, plates/glasses/cutlery, self-made or ordered? Make a table in Excel with the different options and their cost calculation.
Group 3: consider the different options for organizing entertainment for the party. Music, games, a program maybe: bowling or ceramic painting, or a theme: dressing up? Make a table in Excel with your different ideas and their cost calculation.
(20 minutes for this part of the exercise.)
Second part: the groups present their ideas and the costs related to them, and then the whole group decides on the best combination of ideas for the party. (20 minutes)
The objective of the activity is to work on the competence of content creation and information processing.
Combination of practicing Word and online search – Creating a Roma fairytale
The participants work in pairs or in groups of 3. Their task is to prepare a Roma fairytale – to type the text of the fairytale (they can also search for a Roma fairytale in the web- google for example), to format the text ( change the font, colour and style, etc), add some pictures or animations. When the fairytale is ready the participants should save it as a file. When all the groups are ready, all of the files are presented and participants start a discussion to share how they felt during the exercise and what kind of obstacles they met.
The objective of the activity is to work on the competence of communication.
Set up an email account on gmail
All emails must have a unique name on a unique server platform. Normally you have your name and a kind of definition in the name. email@example.com
To set up your email: You need to prepare before starting:
- Have your Smartphone ready and your phone number
- If you already have an other email address you can use that for an extra security connection.
- You need to get yourself ready for a safe passcode for your email account. To consider:How are you going to remember the passcode?
You can also find instructions on the web, for example at:
Watch the video and choose your email. Be sure you will remember your new email address.
Send your email address to your teacher's email.
Write your name and your new email address in the message. You can also attach a photo of yourself to your email.
The objective of the activity is to work on the competence of safety.
It is important to have a secure behaviour on the Internet.
You should work in your groups and answer the questions together.
Group Blue Group Red
Group Yellow Group Liliac
Open the document (that you as trainer had uploaded into a shared folder) and you will find the instructions for the exercise. Fill in your answers in the document together.
A task paper example:
EXAMPLE: Information Security Group Yellow
Theme - Security When Using the Internet
Today we will review information about your security on the internet. You will help the group to answer the questions. For your help, there is a website with information on the internet (you need to find such a website in your own country).
We will use a safe source for the information. It is independent and is paid by Swedish taxpayers. It is the "Authority for Social Protection and Preparedness" that has provided the information.
The page is called YOUR SAFETY - Technology and IT
A: READ FIRST:
You will read through the section called "Technology and IT". It has many good chapters to read through. Read one chapter at a time. At the bottom of most chapters there is a list of the most important. The other chapters of material for the next question are found in the left hand column.
B: THE TASK:
Each chapter has a task! You can find them here in the document. Summarize your various suggestions for answers so that everyone understands. Enter your answers in this document. Click on an empty row after the question and enter the answer you agreed. Please use "Tip List"
THIS IS THE LINK TO THE MATERIAL: https://www.dinsakerhet.se/sakrare-hemma/
- Members of our group are....
- Information security What do you think is most important for a safe behavior on internet?
- Protect your computer What anti-virus software do you use?
- Password What do you think is most important to keep in mind, when making a safe password?
- Backup How do you usually back up your texts, pictures and materials that you have on your computer and smartphone?
- Smartphones and tablets What rules can an employer / training instructor have if you use a smartphone in your work or in your education department?
- Internet security
What is a bluff leak?
- Publishing on the internet
What should you consider when publishing an image on the internet?
How can you protect yourself from identity theft? Make a suggestion you think is important.
- Wireless networks
What should you consider when logging in to a wireless network? WIFI
What is a trojan, a virus, a phishing mail?
You all can fill in the same document at the same time.
Reflections over the new knowledge you have found today?
Reflect alone and together about what you learnt today about security on internet.
Music video (swedish)
“Öppna din dörr”
with Tommy Nilsson
Who should you let thru your door on Internet?